From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-26 13:59:32

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Serge Barral wrote:
sbarra> I guess that implementing indexing via comma overloading
sbarra> would require the same kind of trick, and the subarray
sbarra> style of indexing seems to me more natural in C++.

I agree that [] is more natural in C++.

sbarra> On an other topic, I'd be interested to know if the
sbarra> consensus is towards making an expression template
sbarra> implementation of multidim arrays. I personnaly believe
sbarra> that dropping ET on the base of portability considerations
sbarra> would be unfortunate in the long run.

I was thinking that we'd make the expression template stuff an optional
add-on. That way we keep the portability for the core array stuff. In
terms of release schedule, I was thinking the core array stuff would be
released first without the ET, and then a later release would include the
ET stuff.

Cheers,
Jeremy

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Univ. of Notre Dame work phone: (219) 631-3906