From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-07 12:28:33

At 09:02 AM 3/7/2001 -0800, Darin Adler wrote:

>on 3/7/01 6:24 AM, Beman Dawes at bdawes_at_[hidden] wrote:
>
>> So far so good. But doing that will leave the initially committed
>version
>> of each file as part of the main trunk. So the questions are,
>>
>> How do you tag (or otherwise mark) files as not part of the main trunk?
>
>You can do a cvs remove command on the file in the main trunk (and commit
>that change). This leaves the file on the branches it's already on, but
not
>on the main trunk. The file can be re-added to the main trunk with cvs
add
>later on, which "resurrects" the file. (The only idiosyncrasy here is
that
>newly added files are always on the main trunk, and have to be removed
from
>it. Also, newly added files are not part of any branch until they are
>tagged as such.)

Cool! Thanks, Darin. I've also been experimenting, and came up with the
following procedure, which also seems to work. Forgive the WinCvs centric
notes - they should translate one-to-one to command line cvs.

--Beman

To add a new branch-only directory (for development) without any main trunk
file or directory sub-entries:

* Not using WinCvs, create the directory and files via any method desired.

* Using WinCvs, continue.

* Select the folder (ie the directory) and Modify | Add. Note that there
isn't any way to update or branch

something that isn't in the CVS repository, so you must add the folder
first.

* Select the folder and Modify | Create branch... Give it a name like
"mylib-initial". [This generates: cvs

tag -b mylib-initial]

* Select the folder and Modify | Update selection... Select Sticky
options, Retrieve branch. Select branch

name from pull down list. [This generates: cvs update -P -r mylib-initial,
which makes the -r mylib-initial

"sticky", so it applies to subsequent operations.]

* Select the files (or sub-directories, sub-dirs one-at-a-time), and
Modify | Add.

* Modify | Commit... the same selection.

That's all!

In the display window, the Tag field will show "mylib-initial".

In the online WebCvs, the files will be invisable unless you look in the
attic.