From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-09 16:51:20

At 04:34 PM 3/9/2001 +0000, Moore, Paul wrote:

>PS Is there any way of getting the Boost documentation packaged up into
>something printable for offline use? HTML is all very well, but it's not
>really on to try to print each page manually. Maybe it's time to consider
>some form of documentation guidelines...

One hack (not just for Boost, but any HTML) if you have a copy of Adobe
Acrobat is to first print to the PDF Writer, then print the resulting .pdf
file. Looks better that most browser's print output.

Long term, we are going to need something better that just HTML pages. Of
course, we will still need the HTML pages, but also ways to print, special
formats, etc.

Think about ISO standardization, for example. First there is the proposal,
then the actual Technical Report wording. With the current standard, that
wording then had to be hand converted to troff. It was a wonder it only
took ten years to produce the standard.

We (both Boost members and Library Working Group members) are going to want
something a lot smoother or we will all go crazy. I've personally sworn
off troff for life.

Matt, are you reading this? What's your take on XML? (Matt Austern chairs
the C++ committee's LWG, and just converted the library issues list to
XML.)

--Beman