From: Raja R Harinath (harinath_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-10 22:23:40

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:
> At 07:15 AM 3/8/2001 -0500, John Maddock wrote:
> >>So far so good. But doing that will leave the initially committed
> version
> >>of each file as part of the main trunk. So the questions are,
> >
> >No if your working copy is the branch, the a "cvs add" will add the file
> >the branch, it won't be part of the main trunk and will be located in the
> >attic of the actual repository.
>
> I figured that out, finally, by mistake. The sequence of operations that
> works is tag (AKA branch), update (on the branch), add, commit.
>
> Doing an update when you know nothing has been added yet is
> counterintuitive to me. I did it by mistake originally, and then went
> back and analyzed why it worked.

If you're not too worried about hard disk space, checking out a new
directory for the branch is a better idea.

  $ cd /path/to/checkout/of/head
  $ cvs tag -b -r foo-branch

  $ cd /somewhere/else
  $ cvs -d :pserver:foo_at_cvs.repo.sitory:/cvsroot/boost co -r foo-branch boost

This way, you don't get confusing behaviour with permanent tags
&c. (unless you KNOW how CVS works).

- Hari

--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ harinath_at_[hidden]