From: Howard Hinnant (hinnant_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-12 19:48:40

David Abrahams wrote on 3/12/01 7:53 PM
>> - support for mathematical notation
>> As Toon Knapen mentioned, one should be able to write expressions
>> with vectors and matrices in a form like y = A * x + b.
>
>Check. Regarding the inner-/outer- product issue, I recall seeing a post
>somewhere about simulating new operators (e.g. exponentiation) with a
>notation like this:
>
>A *exp* B
>
>It's not crazy to imagine *inner* and *outer*. Of course we might need to
>use 2 separate namespaces for the different defaults of plain operator* ;-(.

This is coming completely out of the blue, and I don't yet know how to
implement it. But terms like *inner* and *outer* can be limiting.
Tensor notation can be very liberating. It would be cool if we could do
something like:

TensorIndex i, j, k, l;

A[i][j][l] = B[i][k] * C[k][j] * D[k][l] * E[k];

Probably just a pipe dream...

-Howard