From: Doug Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-14 19:06:50

On Wednesday 14 March 2001 05:51, you wrote:
[snip]
> 2) I especially need folks looking at the pthread implementation.
> What I have compiles and works with VC++ using a Win32 port of
> pthreads. However, it periodically dead locks (running both the
> example program and the test program) and I've yet to figure out
> why. I don't see an error in the implementation so the problem may
> even be in the Win32 port, so if the problem can't be reproduced on
> other platforms I'll need Win32 users to help out here.

It builds fine on x86 Linux with a few minor changes:
        1) Use forward slashes instead of backslashes when including headers.
Windows will support #include <boost/header.hpp>, but not all Unix systems
(Linux included) support #include <boost\header.hpp>.
        2) xlock.hpp has an extra "typename" in line 61 that GCC complains about.

However, I have reproduced the deadlock problem with the example program.

A compiler at GCC's highest warning level (-ansi -pedantic -Wall) results in
some signed/unsigned comparison warnings in the pthread handling code.
Commonly the condition:

if (milliseconds == -1)

appears, where "milliseconds" is an unsigned int. Is this safe/intended?

        Doug