From: Eugene Karpachov (jk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-16 08:34:02

Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 05:10:52AM -0800, Jesse Jones ÐÉÛÅÔ:
> >> Asserting will let you know something is wrong and let the app continue.
> >
> >Are you talking about some custom "assert"? The standard one terminates the
> >application when it's condition check failed.
>
> I guess I am. I hardly ever use the C assert. :-)

Well, so it seems to me that Boost need portable logging ostream, in addition
to std::cout and std::cerr.

> I think exceptions are more expensive than you realize.

Yes, they are expensive (and I have realized that from the same time when they
came into language) - but it just functionality cost, no more, no less. You
know, high level languages are expensive compared with assembler language :)

> Now you may be willing to pay the price of extra bloat and compromised optimizations

Some bloat - yes; speed degradation - unlikely. It is just over-optimization
to eliminate exception handling.

> in return for catching the few programmer errors that slip out into the field, but most people will not.

Ok, let them decide.

--
jk