From: lums_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-03-17 08:49:02

--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <abrahams_at_m...> wrote:

> [...]

Taylor is in there -- f(x+dy) ~= f(x) + f'(x)*dy -- in this case, f
is a function from R^n to R^n so f' is a matrix (the Jacobian of f).
We can rewrite

f(x+dy) ~= f(x) + A*dy

where A is the Jacobian -- rearranging gives what I had before
(modulo a typo):

  A*y ~= [ f(x+dy) - f(x) ] / d

for some small (but not too small) d.

What this is doing is the following. If you have a nonlinear
function and you want to compute the matrix-vector product based on
the Jacobian of this function times a vector, you do not need to
construct any kind of matrix to do this. You just need to evaluate
the non-linear function itself at some perturbed location (x+dy).

> b. Which is the linear operator?

A, the Jacobian of the non-linear function f.

> and,
>
> 3. You'd want to use more straightforward code if you had actual
matrices,
> no?

Of course. This was just to illustrate that there are cases (and
this technique is actually used) where one might have a linear
operator that is not a stored matrix of values.

Quick trivia moment. The etymology for 'matrix' is 'womb.' This
makes much sense in the context of the movie with that title. I am
not sure how it applies to linear algebra.....