From: Lie-Quan Lee (llee1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-03-19 17:02:06

At Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:47:37 -0000,
williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:

> --- In boost_at_y..., "Mark Rodgers" <mark.rodgers_at_c...> wrote:
> > From: "Lie-Quan Lee" <llee1_at_l...>
> > > Would be better to have a traits to get the type of locks like:
> > > typedef typename lock_categories<mutex>::lock Guard;
> > > typedef typename lock_categories<mutex>::trylock TryGuard;
> > > typedef typename lock_categories<mutex>::timedlock TimedGuard;
> > >
> > > I did a quick search in boost archive and did not see a
> discussion on
> > > that in both discussion phases(one was last summer, the other is
> since
> > > last week). Maybe I missed it.
> >
> > I made a suggestion somewhat along those lines in

> > I think perhaps it is worth pursuing this topic.

It is interesting that Mark pointed the similarities between Mutexes
and Containers and Locks and Iterators. I do not know if "TryLock did
actually refine Lock" is right way to go since I did not catch the
semantic meaning yet.

> A "lock_tag" might be useful. I'm not sure that full blown traits
> would be, at least with the types as defined today. Can you
> illustrate how these concepts could be useful?

I think that all general comments of using traits can be applied
here. For exmaple, using "mutex::lock" put a stronger requirement on
mutex type.

--
Lie-Quan Lee