From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-01 09:55:14

----- Original Message -----
From: <tom-list_at_[hidden]>

> My reading of the existing docs is that they start with the
> justification, then move on to features. What's there is good, but I
> would have liked to start with an introduction. I mean something
> with info like this:
>
> Boost.Python adds two Python extension types: class & instance.

The above sentence is about implementation details, IMO. Do you think that
this information is really relevant to a first-time user?

Also, it's not quite accurate. Every extension class is a unique extension
type, so it adds a new extension type for each C++ class you expose.

> It allows the C++ user to expose classes, methods, and functions.
> It allows the Python user to create instances from the exposed
> classes.

Isn't the above section covered by the Synopsis at the beginning of the
first page?

> And maybe something about the conversion functions.

Yes, the "under the hood" section is inadequate.
I'd really love some help with the documentation. If you think you can make
improvements, please edit the HTML and post a patch. I will fix any mistakes
and integrate it into the next release.

Regards,
Dave