From: David Allan Finch (sarum_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-02 09:55:53

jk_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Motif is proprietary, Athena is ugly and non-ergonomical, Open Look (if OLIT
> stands for Open Look?) is proprietary and seems dead.

Motif is only a problem if you use non-commercial Unixes, this
was not a real issue in 1996. The Athena was only to prove
that it would work. OLIT was not dead in 1996, after all
Scott said he would never say the 'M' word :-)

> Most cross-platform toolkits are implemented directly on native graphical
> API's, like Gtk, Qt, Tcl/Tk (and there are others).

They are now, no one would have done this in 1996,
also we did not really have a project that was
large enough to attempt this. Also some of these
project have there own UI where as we used the
native one at all times.

These issuse are part of the 'best' for whom,
something that you need to discuss before a
Boost GUI library is even considered.

Personally I think that it is a mistake to re-write
the platforms UI just so you can provide portability
across platforms. Use the native one an abstract
it.