From: Chuck Messenger (cmessenger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-04 10:10:30

From: "Moore, Paul" <paul.moore_at_[hidden]>
>Subject: Split the list?
>
>Is there any plan to split this list by topic? As things stand, I'm getting
>snowed under by mails, most of which I'm deleting unread. Filtering is no
>use to me, as I want to avoid downloading this sort of volume.
>
>Paul.

One suggestion is that you use the digest mode.

However, even the digest mode is getting out of hand -- the volume's
really been going up.

The PHP lists (at lists.php.net) are nicely formatting for handling
high volumes. For example, the top of the digest looks like:

     Topics (messages 44422 through 44436):

     Re: Anyone good with Java??
         44422 by: Dennis Gearon
         44423 by: Ryan Grove

     Editing Variables from another script.
         44424 by: techzeus.pacific.net.sg

     Re: urlencode
         44425 by: John Lim

You can see at a glance what's in the digest, and quickly
zoom in on what's interesting to you.

I think fragmenting the list isn't as good an idea. However,
if you fragment it, consider splitting off a "help" list from
the "developer" list. Splitting by topic would make it
difficult to use, and to keep abrest of what's going on.

     - Chuck