From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-04 19:37:08

A related thought that's been rattling around my brain: there is a whole
category of templates that need to have multiple versions, with arbitrary
numbers of arguments. The kind of templates needed to do complete function
argument deduction are one example. Another example is the that of
"forwarding constructors" for such things as smart pointers (i.e. imagine
you could construct auto_ptr<T> with the arguments that get passed to any of
T's constructors, thereby building the referent). I had to use these all
over the place in the Boost.Python library

Right now, people usually rely on a program to generate these templates for
up to N arguments, where N is some small number. Often, to be able to deal
with const and volatile reference arguments there is a combinatorial
explosion. To deal with these cases effectively would require some kind of
core language change, which, if I could turn back the clock, I would
probably call "template templates". Anyway, I don't really have a good sense
of the syntax for specifying such things, but I know there's a real need
waiting to be filled... somehow.

-Dave