From: Ullrich Koethe (u.koethe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-05 18:45:22

> Okay, you can do that, usually at the cost of usability for the client...

I'm not sure if usablility is so bad, especially in the keyword variant.
I keep forgetting the argument order even for my own functions. Keywords
would solve this (as long as I remember them :-). Also, they give much
more powerful default value capabilities than C++ otherwise has.

I'm using a similar technique in the vigra library:

transform(srcImageRange(in1), srcImage(in2), destImage(out), Functor());

where srcImageRange() etc. are factories for argument tuples (of fixed
length in this case). This greatly improves readability.

> but it still doesn't handle the const/non-const reference combinatorics
> problem.

What exactly is this problem? Can it be solved by explicitly
specializing the list() factory?

list<Foo &>(aFoo) vs.
list<Foo const &>(aFoo)

Anyway, it would certainly be better to build these capabilities into
the language (I was pleased to here about Bjarne's plans)

-Ulli

| |
| Ullrich Koethe Universität Hamburg / University of Hamburg |
| FB Informatik / Dept. of Computer Science |
| AB Kognitive Systeme / Cognitive Systems Group |
| |
| Phone: +49 (0)40 42883-2573 Vogt-Koelln-Str. 30 |
| Fax: +49 (0)40 42883-2572 D - 22527 Hamburg |
| Email: u.koethe_at_[hidden] Germany |
| koethe_at_[hidden] |
| WWW: http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/ |