From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-06 14:37:06

At 12:03 PM 4/6/2001, Greg Colvin wrote:

>This might be an interesting project for Boost.

>> Message c++std-lib-8618
>>
>> I'm looking for some sort of benchmark tests that measure the runtime
>> performance of a C++ standard library implementation. Any leads will
>> be appreciated.

I wonder if Boost's regression test
(http://www.boost.org/status/regression.cpp) could trivially be given an
option to report execution times instead of Pass/Fail.

That would provide the mechanism for running tests automatically, and
reporting them as a nice HTML table.

But the real problem, of course, is writing useful benchmark tests. On
today's heavily cached architectures, just calling some function a lot of
times in a tight loop isn't always a realistic test. Probably OK for
containers, though.

Another problem is diversion of resources. I'd hate to see some of the
ongoing Boost projects delayed because the developers are fooling around
with benchmarks of someone else's libraries.

--Beman