From: Geurt Vos (G.Vos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-17 06:58:28

Is there any interest in a stable priority queue?
That is, a priority queue for which the order of
elements of the same priority is guaranteed to be
first-in first-out. [BTW, is 'stable' the right
word for this?].

This problem seems to come up so now and then
at several places. For what I know, also boost
doesn't provide a stable one (right?). So I was
wondering if there's any interest to add such
a class?

I do realize the functionality is quite easily
emulated with a std::multiset, which could be
reason enough to not add the priorty queue
'wrapper'. Then again, priority_queue itself is
a (simple) wrapper. There is one thing I'm
uncertain about: is the requirement I stated
guaranteed for std::multiset? I couldn't find
any mention of this or anything related in
the standard. All the implementations I tried
it on have it implemented this way, but that's
not proof enough...

Geurt Vos