From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-19 05:55:33

----- Original Message -----
From: <rwgk_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 7:47 PM
Subject: [boost] Re: Boost.Python: inherited classes in different modules

> --- In boost_at_y..., Pearu Peterson <boost_at_c...> wrote:
> > The key question seems to be: How to declare a base class
> > that is defined in another module?:
> > symbol_class.declare_base(basic_class);
> >
> > If class_basic_converters object could provide a method
> > get_extension_class() then my problem would be solved, right?:
>
> I have not thought about this problem before.
>
> Your idea sounds plausible.
> David, do you think this could be done?

Maybe. There are two aspects to inheritance in Boost.Python:

1. accessibility of base class methods
2. downcasting the base class

I think #1 presents fewer problems than #2, but it seems to me that if the
"derived" module is dynamically linked to the "base" module, it should be
possible to make both work.

-Dave