From: jimh_datagrove_com_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-04-23 13:15:07

Using the boost scheme of forcing string functions like strlen into
std breaks existing code that merely includes a boost header.

I use MSVC, which does not put strlen in std namespace (even using
cstring). I suppose this is evil, but is there a good justification
for "fixing" this at the cost of making it miserable to use boost
with MSVC code?

Or am I missing something? We have plenty of code that looks
something like this:

#include <stuff>

using namespace std;

Now if I include a boost header like regex, suddenly MSVC decides
that all references to strlen are ambiguous. (They are not really,
but there's no arguing with the compiler).

Jim