From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-23 17:20:58

I have concluded that we MUST have a way of storing with the units
the uncertainties (for the measurement-minded)
(or intervals to the mathematically-minded).

(For a few, uncertainties are zero - by definition conversion of inch to mm
is 25.4 exactly.)

But for most physical constants and conversion factors
they are + something - and often - something different.

This makes it more complicated!

Do we wait for an interval system,
or just provide three values:

lower limit, mean, most likely, central value, upper limit?

And are limits 95% confidence or what?

Actual values are available from NIST collections, for example.
But we need to decide a packaging method.

As I have painfully discovered with math_constants,
achieving consensus on this is not so easy!

Paul

Dr Paul A Bristow, hetp Chromatography
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal, Cumbria