From: Eric Ford (eford_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-24 17:43:17

> Yes. There's already a work-around -- go ahead and change the
<limits> to
> <boost/pending/limits.hpp>. This change will be incorporated into
the next
> release (read: I'll finally install CVS tonight and try to change it
:).

thanks, that worked just fine.

> > BTW- Where can I find good online documentation on this std
> > namespace?
>
> It's been a long time since I looked at online std helpers, but
there's
> still the canonical SGI STL:
> http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/

I've looked at that people, but I remember it mostly for stl, not
documenting what's in the std namespace. I'll look again...

> Using pools does not guarantee a speed-up. In fact, I'm suprised
you got
> that much of a speedup on g++; their allocator (based on Doug Lea's,
> think) should already be tuned for smaller objects. Anyway, the
main
> purpose of pools is to have easier control over exactly how and when
memory
> alloc/dealloc happens. In particular, I had to bend over backwards
> support the Standard Allocator interface, so pool_alloc generally
sees a
> slow-down; you may not want to use it.

Indeed. Where I got the speed up was with using pool_singleton
inside a counted_ptr class (not boost's) that is used frequently in
my code.
When I used pool_alloc inside some small the vector allocators, it got
slower. Oh well.

Thanks,