From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-04-25 13:45:55

At 02:00 PM 4/25/2001, Jens Maurer wrote:

>I think you can read uninitialized values of "unsigned char"
>type, because they're required to have a (legal) value for every
>bit pattern of their representation.

Yes, 3.9.1 says:

"For character types, all bits of the object representation participate in
the value representation. For unsigned character types, all possible bit
patterns of the value representation represent numbers. These requirements
do not hold for other types."

Run tests, as opposed to just compile tests, really are much better. The
main usefulness of the compile test is the compile-fail flavor.

--Beman