From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-07 07:54:12

From: "Jesse Jones" <jesjones_at_[hidden]>

> The problem with this is that if boost::function doesn't have
> operator== users are hosed. Their only recourse is to code some sort
> of work around or use a different callback class with a huge amount
> of overlap with boost::function.

I believe that users can get around the restriction, if necessary, although
it won't be as convenient.

The problem with providing operator== for a variant class (it can be done -
I've done it) is that it starts breaking even more compilers than usual [
:-) ] and (the killer argument that convinced me to drop
variant<T>::operator== and operator<) breaks MSVC compatibility due to lack
of partial ordering.

Anyway, in order for function::operator== to work it would need an
operator== from the function object, which is rarely, if ever, defined,
IMHO.

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.