From: Bill Seymour (bsey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-09 15:37:37

John (Max) Skaller wrote:

> You do not need to support bitmask operations or bitwise shifts.

Right.

> On the other hand you will need shifting the decimal point
> by a constant: this is NOT the same as multiply or divide
> by a power of 10.

How so?

> [questioning my statement about rounding mode]

I'm having second thoughts about rounding...stay tuned. 8-)

> If you really want to support currency operations, COBOL style
> picture formatting is the way to go.

Oh dear! I certainly wouldn't want to require the user to hard-
code an output format. (Or did I misunderstand you?)

Anyway, I'm hoping that standard C++ facilities (I/O streams,
I/O manipulators and locale facets) will be sufficient.

--Bill Seymour