From: Gary Powell (Gary.Powell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-10 10:36:23

Hi,
> Is there interest in Boost for an option processor
I'm interested.
> and is it right to consider Bill's library for use in it (I
> haven't looked into it all too deep, I'm basically asking for the current
> state of discussion on it).
>
> Here's a synopsis of my processor: One creates an option_processor object
> and
> registers supported options with it, giving the following information:
> - short/long ways for denominating the option on the command line
On the short way, will you require this to be specified by the programmer,
or will it automatically create a short flag from the long flags?

> - a description
> - a handler function object

You might also consider using the any_function stuff as well.

> Once that is done, the processor can be asked about an info table about
> the
> known options as frequently seen on programs' "--help" screens. Finally of
> course it can be given argc/argv and it will parse it for options and call
> the
> appropriate handlers, throwing exceptions on errors (missing arguments,
> etc.)
This is very handy to have and if done so that "help" is required when you
register the option it will remind programmers to fill in at least a token
help statement.

-gary-

gary.powell_at_[hidden]