From: Gerhard Wesp (gwesp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-11 07:53:08

> * It forces a space optimization on the user.
>
> The first problem might be solved by relaxing the requirements, but that
> doesn't solve the second problem.

The user is free to use vector<char> or vector<int> if the space
optimization isn't wanted.

> Good question. I don't know the answer. Does anyone have real-world
> examples (NOT GUESSES!) as to how people are using vector<bool>?

well, personally i used it for a prime sieve and for an application
where it was necessary to count the number of certain parts of a cube hit
by a point sequence. in both cases, the space optimization was nice to
have.

-gerhard