From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-20 18:55:45

At 10:05 PM 5/19/2001, John Max Skaller wrote:

(see below)

John is likely right in his reading of the committee, but on the other hand
this is Boost and we don't have to be as restrictive. We can accept a
library with three forms of something if we want, and then only end up
proposing one of those forms for eventual standardization. Or we could
propose one form (macros) to the C committee, and another to the C++
committee.

Usually it is a lot better not to confuse users with several forms of the
same thing. But if there are powerful arguments for each of the forms, I
don't see a great deal of harm in Boost supplying them all, as long as the
documentation delineates the rationale and gives users guidelines for
choosing.

--Beman

>Ed Brey wrote:

>> Nor is it even possible. One group of unhappy users will be those who
>> want a single interface.
>
> This may be the most important group: the committee :-)
>
>> Having the C (macro) interface and the C++
>> interface will make those users unhappy. However, given a willingness
>> to forsake them, it might be possible to make everyone else
happy. Once
>> you've opened the door to multiple interfaces, you might as go all the
>> way and make as many interfaces as you need to cover all the
>> (conflicting) requirements. Give pi to those who want
>> qualification-free (including parentheses) names. Give pi() to those
>> who want inlining and constant-folding. Give BOOST_PI to those using
C.