From: Gabriel Dos Reis (Gabriel.Dos-Reis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-21 09:21:01

John Max Skaller <skaller_at_[hidden]> writes:

| Marshall Clow wrote:
| >
| > At 2:17 PM -0400 5/15/01, Beman Dawes wrote:
|
| > I like the idea of having a policy class for rounding.
| >
| > The question that I think needs to be answered is:
| > Will fixed point numbers that have different rounding rules
| > need to interoperate?
|
| Rounding is a property of the operation.
| It must be specified for every individual application.
|
| > If not, then a policy class is the way to go.
|
| 'Global' policies are an evil idea, just
| like global data and singletons. Information should
| ALWAYS be passed explicitly. [See Bertrand Meyer,
| OOSC, 'Principle of Explicit Interfaces']

However in our specific case, we're talking about functions operating
on raw data, that is we're talking about datatypes.

Any property shared by a group of data can be thought of as a "global"
property (with appropriate meaning of "global"). And not just because
a global data be conceived as "evil" in well-defined situations that
it makes any property common to a group of objects an "evil idea".

-- Gaby