From: Larry Evans (jcampbell3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-24 07:32:09

Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Hello.
> Discussion about Spirit touched on possibility of creating automata building
> library. I view such library as providing very simple functionality: given a
> grammar (=BNF), build automaton for recognition of the grammar.
>
> Futher direction may include EBNF->BNF conversion and probably NFA & DFA
> building and DFA minimization facilities.
>
> I myslef can implement LALR(1) and SLR(1) methods, probably LR(1)
> (if needed).
>
> As for LL(?) methods, I'm not sure if these have much in common with LR(?).
>
> Is there any interest for such a library?

I'd be interested, especially in one that allowed inheritance of grammars, as
in antlr, and allowing the lex part of the parser being another parser. I've currently
got some smalltalk around somewhere that did analysis of grammers to rm
left recursion an some other ops on grammars. So, yes I'm interested.