From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-24 15:34:50

At 08:31 PM 5/23/2001, Larry Evans wrote:

>The gc_sel_ssp.doc file which I've just uploaded has a comparison
>of some existing boost gc methods.

Very interesting... Thanks!

Some initial impressions on ways to improve the documents:

* It would be helpful to use fuller names to identify the methods. A name
like "jrg_gc" should get expanded to "John's really good garbage
collector" or whatever it stands for.

* The "Comparisons" might be renamed "Analysis" as it seems that would be
a more accurate description.

* A "Comparison" table, perhaps with methods as columns and distilled
analysis points as rows would make actual comparisons between methods a lot
easier.

* For the memory usage analysis, it would be useful to pick one or two
typical graphs, and compute the actual memory size used (making some
typical assumptions about sizeof pointers, longs, etc). While the basis
has to be your detailed analysis, actual numbers are a lot easier to
compare.

* I'm not sure if it is possible to do something similar for timings, but
it would be useful to know somehow the relative speeds in typical
small/medium/large uses (if there is such a thing).

Anyhow, this is really interesting stuff and I hope others will take a look
at your work and make comments.

--Beman