From: Greg Colvin (gcolvin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-25 15:47:54

Larry just did me the favor of putting updated copies of my simple
cyclic_ptr at:

Like Felix it combines reference counting with garbage collection.
It requires no special operator new and can collect arbitrary data
types. It requires that collectable objects be referenced by a
cyclic_ptr<> smart pointer, and imposes some restrictions on the
user-supplied operator= for types with cyclic_ptr<> members (the
default generated operator= is fine as is).

The implementation is a simple-minded stop-the-world-mark-sweep that
makes no attempts at thread safety or maximum performance, but that
has the advantage for now of brevity, and perhaps clarity.

The interface is a subset of shared_ptr. It should be all of
shared_ptr, but I haven't taken time to add std::swap and std::less.
In addition, a simple weak_ptr is provided whose get() member returns
null if the shared object has been collected.