From: Hubert HOLIN (Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-25 17:55:48

Paris (U.E.), le 26/05/2001

--- In boost_at_y..., Daryle Walker <darylew_at_m...> wrote:
> on 5/23/01 10:31 PM, Hubert HOLIN at Hubert.Holin_at_B... wrote:
>
> > Paris (U.E.), le 24/05/2001
> >
> > --- In boost_at_y..., Daryle Walker <darylew_at_m...> wrote:
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> >> The reason is given in the error messages, I'm trying to use a class that

[SNIP]

> > At any rate this has to be resolved, and I will abide by the final
> > recomandations (IOW, I need some enlightement here!).
>
> I have a copy of the C++ standard. The I/O part is described in chapter 27.
> The <iosfwd> header is the first one after the chapter introduction. That
> section only has the header's synopsis, which are forward declarations of
> all the I/O templates and types, and descriptions of the (inheritance)
> relations between the various types. There are no class definitions given,
> unlike the other headers described in later sections of the chapter. I'm
> assuming that this means that <iosfwd> doesn't give any information about
> its templates and types except their names. (Why call it a forward
> declaration header if the full declarations are there?) Section 3.1 says
> such names describe incomplete types, and incomplete types can't be used for
> object definitions, like the ones in the beginning of your I/O operators.
>
> The headers I mentioned add the full class declarations, making the types
> complete, so they can be used for objects.
>
> --
> Daryle Walker
> Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie
> darylew AT mac DOT com

        I believe we are not communicating. Your analysis (forward
declaration & all) is correct. You do have a log of errors. I just do
not understand how you caused these errors to appear. IOW please post a
complete code snippet which cause these errors to appear.

        Once again, this will have to be resolved, and I will abide by the
final recomandations.

                Hubert Holin
                Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden]