From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-26 09:12:12

From: <williamkempf_at_[hidden]>

> You'll have the same problem with raw pointers. Not all designs that
> maintain multiple pointers to the same object will use a shared_ptr<>
> to do so if strict ownership can be easily defined with out the need
> for ref-counting.

A serialization library may choose to support only the designs that
explicitly use smart pointers such as shared_ptr to indicate ownership.

Ordinary pointers may still be serialized under the assumption that they
don't own an object.

> That's a reasonable addition, but since it doesn't solve the larger
> problem I wonder about its actual usefullness?

The proposed addition to shared_ptr solves a problem with shared_ptr. It is
not meant to solve a larger problem.

--
Peter Dimov
Multi Media Ltd.