From: John Max Skaller (skaller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-27 11:40:09

Larry Evans wrote:

> An external entity is, for example, another process? What else?

        Typically, it is a GUI. For example:

        on_click(window_id, data_ptr, callback);

Here 'data_ptr' is typically an pointer to an object,
and 'callback' is thunk that calls the 'on_click'
method of the object. The client might not keep
a copy of the data_ptr, being able to retrive it
at any time by, say:

        get_on_click_data(window_id)

> > It remains a disadvantage, whether or not it is unique.
> > It is also a disadvantage of Greg Colvins cyclic_ptr, on the other
> > hand my Felix GC system is instance based, and so if one
>
> "Instance based" is opposite of "global"? By Felix, you're not referring
> to the code in flx_gc_1_1.zip, are you?

        Yes: by "Felix GC" I'm refering to flx_gc_1_1.zip.
[Felix is a language and also the translator for it, the GC
is part of the run time system]

>I ask because I see nothing relevant to threads there.

        Exactly. Felix GC isn't thread safe. But you can
create a collector instance for each thread you create,
and use it for thread local storage. In that case,
the collector doesn't _need_ to be thread safe,
all you need is one for each thread.

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller_at_[hidden]
checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net