From: Rainer Deyke (root_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-27 23:30:47

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross Smith" <ross.s_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2001 8:37 PM
Subject: [boost] GCC, stringstreams, and boost/config.hpp

> Up until recently, GCC had no <sstream> header in its normal
> configuration (i.e. unless you added a 3rd-party library). The current
> boost/config.hpp contains (edited to show only the relevant bits):

<snip>

> I can see three possible courses, none of which are really satisfactory:
>
> (1) The status quo. Leave BOOST_NO_STRINGSTREAM wrongly defined for GCC
> 2.95.3, and rely on the impending release of GCC 3.0 to make the problem
> go away. It won't do so quickly -- a lot of current GCC 2.95.3 users are
> going to wait for other people to find the bugs first.

Of your three choices, this seems the most reasonable. I would extend this
by allowing the user-defined macro 'BOOST_GCC_2_95_WITH_SSTREAM' to prevent
the definition of 'BOOST_NO_STRINGSTREAM'. If the compiler doesn't fully
identify itself, the burden must be shifted to the user.

--
Rainer Deyke (root_at_[hidden])
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com