From: joel de guzman (isis-tech_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-28 08:31:27

From: "John (EBo) David" :

> If this question is off topic my apologies up front...
>
> I am starting a full rewrite of a bunch of my work (several years worth)
> and want to support multiple languages from the getgo. I am curious to
> find out what is the latest and greatest way of providing multi-lingual
> support in C++? Most of what I've seen to date center around wide and
> multi-byte character representations, facets, and locales. Is there any
> equivalent to GNU's gettext? What is the state of the art?
>
> References and suggestions greatly appreciated, chastisements humbly
> accepted...
>
> If no such thing exists, I will consider starting something for Boost.
>
> EBo --

After many years working in Japan, I got involved with localization
and multi language support. One platform that definitely excels on
this is the Macintosh. You should definitely look into the OS as
it is: OSX..

Cross-platform wise, I find the standard c++ support for multi
languages very poor. I'm sorry to say that I find the locales
almost useless. *My opinion only*.

If you are to start something fresh, I guess it should be first and
foremost a Unicode library. A 16/32 bit character support IMO,
should be the basis of anything 'multi-lingual'. As it is, C++
support for 16/32 bit chars is so inadequate.

Just my opinions...

Cheers,
Joel de Guzman