From: joel de guzman (isis-tech_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-05-31 21:42:09

From: "John Max Skaller" :

> Douglas Gregor wrote:
>
> > What I'm proposing is that we use on-the-fly parser generation to make
the
> > compiler writer's job easier.
>
> Which might also allow user extensions to the grammar,
> something I've only dreamed of. This is probably viable for
> an RD parser. It probably isn't for a bottom up parser,
> unless you use some fancy scheme which caches the parse
> tables on disk.

There are indeed advantages with RD. The flexibility,
especially with object composition, as opposed to,
traditional functional composition, opens up interesting
avenues for exploration.

OTOH, we are also aware of the problems and limitations
of RD. But is this a brick wall we are facing? Have we
already exhasted all the possibilities?

A few possibilities come to mind. Combining other
parsing techniques at the rule level is one. Using multi-
processing and dispatching of alternatives to different
processors is another.

Joel de Guzman