From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-02 18:22:27

Phil,

I think you are probably right. Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve, Ullrich Koethe, and I
have been working out a way to address these problems. The friend approach
turns out to tread across the line of legality as far as the standard is
concerned. I would never have used it in the first place, if MSVC had
supported partial specialization/ordering. The solution which I expect will
be ready in the next week, is to revamp the library to use those features
everywhere except for MSVC, which will rely on the friend function hack.

Ralf has been doing most of the work on the code, though, so you might not
to rely on my assessment of the time before a fix is ready.

Regards,
Dave