From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-03 19:56:21

After lots of hacking and cleanup, I have checked in a version of the build
system prototype in the build subdirectory of the regular CVS project tree.
Somehow, I failed to get it on a branch; I thought I knew how to do that,
but CVS is sometimes a crapshoot for me ;-(. I will correct this. You can
also get it at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/Build%20System/.

There is still a fair amount of work to do, and some of the code is still
quite crufty. Not everything described in the documentation is implemented
yet.

What I've checked in comes with a sample project and some toolset
descriptions. To use it, invoke jam with -fX, where X is the absolute path
to the file "allyourbase.jam" that comes in the root of the build directory.
When we get the system finished, we can replace the compiled-in Jambase file
with allyourbase.jam and do away with this neccessity.

There are lots of usage instructions missing here, and Jam has its quirks,
to say the least. I'm hoping that the coming dialogue will help clear up the
impending questions.

Regards,
Dave