From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-07 17:07:58

----- Original Message -----
From: <kevin_vanhorn_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 5:52 PM
Subject: [boost] Problem with iterator adaptor lib and concepts

> I think the Boost libraries should get this issue right even if the
> Standard doesn't (maybe doing so would help fix the Standard in the
> future.) What do the rest of you think?

I agree (and I think I can speak for Jeremy, too: we agree).

Jeremy has worked out a proposed new set of iterator concepts
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/iterator_concepts.zip). I think
it makes sense to modify iterator_adaptor to support them. Someone with a
need (like you) would be a perfect candidate to begin that work. For what
it's worth, I anticipate running up against many of the same issues very
soon in work on the boost matrix effort.

> P.S. It seems to me that there are similar problems with the standard
> container concepts; they also are too restrictively defined, bundling
> up too many separate issues together instead of factoring things into
> orthogonal concept groups.

I think the container concepts are even worse off than the standard iterator
concepts: at least the iterator concepts impose a high degree of uniformity
across a wide range of existing iterator types - the container concepts are
much less useful because they don't even accomplish that much.

-Dave