From: David Abrahams (abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-08 22:28:51

----- Original Message -----
From: "joel de guzman" <isis-tech_at_[hidden]>
> > > 1. Why is compilation times bounded by lexical analysis?
> >
> > Sheer number of tokens to be processed. That is why most compilers can't
> > afford to use table-generated lexers and end up using hand-crafted code
> > instead.
> >
> > Well, at least until template instantiation came along as a compilation
> job,
> > this was true ;-)
> >

> So lexers are basically of the form: t1 | t2 | ..... tn
> in a loop while skipping white spaces?

I don't understand what you wrote, which leads me to suspect that you didn't
understand what I wrote. A token, to a lexer, is a character. A token, to a
parser, is often made up of many characters. Usually, the lexer needs to
process tokens that are not even a part of any parser token (whitespace,
comments). Ipso facto, the lexer must process many more tokens than the
parser.

-Dave