From: larsbj_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-06-13 10:50:52

Douglas Gregor <gregod_at_[hidden]> writes:

| > OR... all such object need to f.ex. be repackaged into function<void>
| > before being passed to the queue. (it that even allowed?)
|
| Perhaps some examples would help. Here's some of what Boost.Function can do:

Ok, I do not have any problems with this.

[snip]

Note that I wanted to use "defer_call" to bind _all_ arguments.

so in essence what I wanted is:

function<void> f(bind_all(&foo, arg1, arg2, ... , arglast));

Perhaps _this_ would be something for boost then... (the lambda lib
can be used of course, but it is a tidbit more complex...)

| For your example with the queue of threads to start, you would have
| to decide
| on a common return type for the boost::function objects (most likely
| void).

Supposed to be an examble with a worker thread that gets fed functions
to run, but the result is the same.

| The return type of the actual functions that are being called as threads
| won't be relevant, then, because the result will be eaten by
| boost::function.

I was not (completely) aware of this.

| This is no less powerful than your defer_call example: the return types must
| all be normalized to one type anyway because of static type checking.

yes.

--
	Lgb