From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-15 08:16:36

Is anyone out there familiar with building shared libraries under Cygwin?

Does "g++ -shared" work? When I tried it with a simple test program, I got:
  Cannot export _bss_end__: symbol not defined
  Cannot export _bss_start__: symbol not defined
  Cannot export _data_end__: symbol not defined
  Cannot export _data_start__: symbol not defined
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Does it generate .so files that can be used in the usual unix fashion?

I realize there's something called dlltool; is that just for generating
windows-standard DLLs, or is that the only way to generate a proper shared
library with cygwin?

TIA,
Dave