From: williamkempf_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-06-20 09:17:02

--- In boost_at_y..., Douglas Gregor <gregod_at_c...> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Notes:
> >
> > I was unable to get boost::function support working for thread
> > creation. Unfortunately on my compiler (the dreaded VC6) I'm
> > receiving the infamous Internal Compiler Error. A single line
that
> > I've left commented out in boost::detail::thread_state that
declares
> > a member of boost::function<int> will illustrate the problem if
> > anyone feels like figuring out what's wrong with Boost.Function
> > here. I took the cowards way out for now and threads are only
> > creatable from function pointers with the signature "void func
> > (void*)".
> >

> I've finally looked into this. I get parse errors with:
>
> typedef function<void, void*> threadfunc;
>
> It appears that MSVC is not finding 'function', so I tried:
>
> typedef boost::function<void, void*> threadfunc;
>
> Now I get the ICE. I'm unable to find any reason for MSVC to be
dying here
> (similar code works perfectly well in other places).
>
> The good news is that the numbered variant seems to work. This
compiled
> without incident:
>
> typedef function1<void, void*> threadfunc;

Thanks. This is enough to get me started on merging the two
concepts. Times limited for me right now, though, so it may be a few
weeks for this change to Boost.Threads.

> Note that I wasn't able to test this beyond ensuring compilation of
the
> object file. My only Windows box runs Win98, for which I was not
able to get
> Jam working.

Two comments on this:

1) It should be extremely trivial for you to create MSVC workspaces
and projects for this code instead of using Jam. At least for now.
The files needed are small enough to be manageable, and the project
settings are all fine at the default settings (provided you build
against the MT C RTL).

2) We need to figure out how to get Jam to work on Win9x. I truly
like Jam as a build system and want to see Boost adopt it soonest.
Unfortunately I don't have a Win9x machine anymore to volunteer any
efforts here. :(

Bill Kempf