From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-24 13:07:47

----- Original Message -----
From: <rwgk_at_[hidden]>

> In view of the messages in this thread, and in view of our
> own experience, wouldn't it be better to strictly avoid the use
> of leading underscores in the boost library? It is a very low
> price to pay, compared to the trouble one has to go through
> if some unfortunate compiler's use of identifiers conflicts
> with that of the library.

I am certainly coming to that conclusion. When we established a coding
standard at my job recently, we chose the leading-underscore convention, but
in light of recent boost messages I am strongly advising a switch to "m_".

BTW, I am beginning to wonder if it's worth having a "suggested coding
standards" document. I have put considerable effort into the
boost-compatible coding standards we're using at work. Clearly it would be
overkill for boost to mandate some of the nitpicky things in our standard,
but it sometimes helps to have some guidelines when you're trying to decide
whether to write something one way or another.

-Dave