From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-24 14:03:22

At 01:52 PM 6/24/2001, Corwin Joy wrote:

>IMHO leading underscores in member names seem to me
>to be not worth the anxiety of wondering if you are going to
>collide with something non-standard in one of the libraries
>you include. I can understand why folks like underscores
>to seperate out module variable names, but it seems to me
>like a trailing underscore gives the same effect but in a safer
>way from a defensive coding point of view.

I'm beginning to agree with you about a leading underscore. But why don't
you feel the same way about a trailing underscore?

In fact if we are trying to avoid problems caused by non-standard headers,
particularly those which include macros, it is hard to know what is safe,
beyond doing something really ugly.

--Beman