From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-27 16:08:23

At 03:06 PM 6/27/2001, williamkempf_at_[hidden] wrote:

>Duplicate interfaces for the same concept?

I guess that's the issue. What was in my mind was a design that had two
distinct layers:

     A lower thread_id level, no reference counting, no management,
     just an opaque handle. Perhaps pretty unsafe for casual use; if so
     only exposed with a "use at your own risk" caveat.

     A higher thread manager level, which looked like classes I'm
     familiar with like fstreams.

What has actually happened is that developers with threads experience say
we shouldn't expose a level 1 interface at all, and that a level 2 thread
manager should use a somewhat more procedure oriented interface (currently
named thread::ref).

It is probably time for me to stop beating a dead horse. We shouldn't have
two level 2 interfaces, and since the experienced people choose the
thread::ref design, that seems to me to be the one we should develop.

--Beman