From: jaakko.jarvi_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-06-28 04:32:12

--- In boost_at_y..., Jeremy Siek <jsiek_at_r...> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Beman Dawes wrote:
> >
> > * Deprecate: tie (in utility.hpp).
> >
> > [Beman] I've added a note in the utility docs to that effect.
>
> I am concerned with the compile-time and complexity issues of
bringing in
> the whole tuple library when all I need is a two-argument bind().
Would it
> be possible to have a header that includes just the two-argument
version
> of bind?
You mean two argument tie() ?

I did some testing and compiled a program consisiting solely of
two argument tie expressions like:
tie(i, j) = make_pair(1, 2)

Compile time increased around 9% with gcc 3.0 when going from the tie
function in utility.hpp to the tuple tie.

As this was a program with around 5000 tie expressions, and nothing
else, I'd suspect that in realistic programs the difference is
unnoticeable.

The other thing is the complexity and portability issue, less
compilers support tuples than utility.hpp, so maybe the
two argument tie could be preserved somehow (different name,
different namespace, prevent two different definitions of
tie(A, B) with #define guards).

Cheers, Jaakko