From: Bill Klein (bill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-28 10:29:42

Greg Colvin wrote:
> "And join the worker thread when the main thread needs the
> result of the work."
>
> A join isn't the only way to do this, or course. My apps
> tend to leave the worker thread waiting for the next piece
> of work and use a monitor to synchronize.

My programs tend to use other sync primatives as well and almost never
join... It seems to me that even in the case of programs where join
is used, it will tend to be an explicit call at a specific place (i.e.
not just when the last reference to the thread disapears!). I think
detach is the proper 'default' that should happen in the destructor if
join (or detatch) are never called explicitly.

(Another reason is that join can take a long time [of course] and I
like to keep destructors quick and simple, but maybe this is not a
valid reason).

- Bill