From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-06-28 13:17:56

No, at least in pthreads, thread ID's for a detached thread are valid
until the thread terminates (which can be before or after a thread is
detached). There are some restrictions on a detached thread, like you
can't join it, but there are still some things you can do with the thread
ID.

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 duncan_at_[hidden] wrote:
> jsiek_at_[hidden] (Jeremy Siek) wrote:
>
> > If the thread is going to be detached, why not just create it as
> > detached from the start, instead of waiting until the destructor?
> > I don't see how the lifetime of some thread ref object has anything to
> > do with a detached thread.
>
> Surely the point is that once detached the thread ref is invalid (or
> potentially so).

 Jeremy Siek www: http://www.lsc.nd.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Candidate, IU B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 Summer Manager, AT&T Research phone: (973) 360-8185