From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-07-01 13:57:52

At 02:19 PM 7/1/2001, Samuel Krempp wrote:

>> >Is it a (different) problem that dollar-sign is not part
>> >of the language's basic source character set (2.2/1) ?
>> >If that character is unavailable on, say, an Icelandic
>> >keyboard, then there's no trigraph for it either.
>>
>> Ouch! Good catch, Greg.
>
>Reading this paragraph of the norm,
>I guess the 'Universal character' system could make it possible to use a
>'$' on such a keyboard.
>
>really, do you believe there will ever be a platform where it is not
>possible to type '$' ?

My guess is yes, on some legacy hardware. There is even a greater
likelihood that some printers can't print "$".

But that really isn't the point. If you want to propose something that is
suitable for standardization without any modifications, you should just use
the basic character set, IMO.

If you use some other character, you risk the committee changing it to
something you like a whole lot less than your fallback choice.

Cheers,

--Beman